CALL FOR A FREE CONSULTATION 440-520-1222 440-520-1222


Child Custody and Support Attorneys Serving Lorain and Cleveland, OH

What types of child custody and support are there in Ohio?

Michael C. Asseff Attorney at Law has explained Ohio child custody and support to many mothers and fathers. He is accessible and provides clear explanations and advice to secure your goals. Regardless of the situation, Mr. Asseff always puts your child’s and your own interests first.

In Ohio, there are two main forms of child custody after a divorce:

  • Sole custody gives all parental rights and responsibilities to one parent.
  • Shared parenting is now the preferred arrangement. In shared parenting, the courts or the parents allocate parenting time. The plan may be developed mutually by the parents or imposed by the court. However, if no parenting plan is submitted the court may choose not to award shared custody.

What is the process to determine child custody?

Like most states, Ohio used to grant custody of children to one parent or the other. While you may hear stories about how custody used to be determined, rest assured that this is no longer the state of family law in Ohio. Your child’s best interests now guide the process. To determine the arrangement that best suits your child, courts look to a list of factors, including:

  • The child’s mental, emotional and psychological development;
  • The child’s interaction with parents and siblings
  • The child’s adjustment to school, community and home
  • A parent’s ability to be a custodial parent
  • The payment or non-payment of support
  • The denial or permission of parenting time
  • The presence of abuse
  • The future plans of one parent, including plans to move out of state permanently
  • The child’s wishes

What is the process to get child support payments?

Parents are responsible to provide for the needs of their children. Support orders can be established two ways in Ohio:

  • Administratively — An administrative order is most often formed by the cooperation of both parents. A court hearing is not required for an administratively established child support payment.
  • Judicially — This method requires a court appearance by both parents. At the appearance, a judge reviews financial disclosures to decide the amount and type of child support payments.

Additionally, grandparents can obtain child support in certain cases. You may seek child support if you are the parent of an unmarried child under the age of 18 who has their own child and you live with and support both your minor child and your grandchild. Child support orders may be modified post-decree as circumstances change.

Contact us today to handle child custody and support issues

Your parental rights are one of the most important aspects of your relationship with your child. Without your parental rights, it can be difficult or impossible to develop and maintain a relationship with your child. Support payments can be essential to providing for your child. Regardless of your concerns, Michael C. Asseff Attorney at Law can support and guide you through the process. Call 440-520-1222 or contact the firm online to schedule an appointment at their conveniently located office.